What We Learned from the ADCC Orange County Open


ADCC has decided to expand and do opens as well as the trials. I'm all for this, however I'm not sure if I can keep up with all of the matches. Due to the large number of matches I won't be covering everything, but I will do stats for the Adult men's advanced divisions. I'm going to limit it to the quarter finals and above though, just because it will be a bit less work for me and they don't have all the matches posted. There also seems to be some consolation matches, but I can't cover all of those. Anyway, lets see what happened. 


 Results


-60kg Edwin "Junny" Ocasio 

-65kg Richard Alarcon

-70kg Dominic Mejia

-76kg Lucas Wilhan

-83kg  Davis Asare

-91kg Stephen Martinez

-100kg Fellipe Trovo

+100kg Daniel Manasoiu





How People Won


As I said before these aren't the complete stats because there were too many divisions and the round robin nature made things a bit confusing. However hopefully you enjoy these stats from the quarter finals onwards.

I'm always happy when I see more submissions than points victories and decisions. There was actually only one decision that I saw and the other addition to the orange was an injury. Strangely leglocks made up the majority of the submissions followed by chokes and finally armlocks. There were a strangely low number of arm locks, but that happens sometimes. This event had some good action and luckily I saw little to no stalling.
 


Stats


The RNC comes out on top again and it was followed by the inside and outside heelhook. The ankle lock seems to be getting more popular as well and people were using it from top and bottom. It wasn't particularly high percentage, but it did get a couple of taps. This event seems to be following the general trend we've seen in submission grappling. It is slightly surprising that the outside heelhook is making a bit of a comeback. Leglocks scored more subs than arm attacks, but they also had many more failures. Many of the competitors seemed to want to go for the sub in the tournament instead of playing a slower more methodical game, which I think contributed to a larger focus on leglocks. 


The back was the best finishing position once again. The saddle beat the 50/50 position when it came to leglocks and side-control beat mount. I think one reason for the lack on mount subs is that many people moved to the back instead of staying in mount. We have been seeing more mount recently, but there have been fewer finishes from the position than I would have expected. 



The most common sweep here was the sub sweep. You might be wondering what that is. These a those times when someone goes for a submission and then gives up on it to come on top. This mostly happened with leg locks as people often sat down to defend them, however we did see them from other things subs as well.

The next most common type of sweeps were wrestle ups into single and double legs. Right now these seem to be very high percentage due to the way people are passing. There were also 2 berimbolos which ended in sweeps which was interesting. 



The half guard pass was the most successful, but the highest percentage was the leg drag. The leg drag often came off of combinations from other passes. The bodylock was also a fairly common pass, but people are getting better at the defense and it isn't as easy as it once was. The smash pass was also as common way to counter leglocks.



Double legs were more common than single legs at this event. Often times this just depends on the competitors as 1 competitor who is good with a certain technique can skew the stats. There were also some interesting foot sweeps such as kosoto gari, de ashi barai and sasae tsurikomi ashi.

Overall

This was a really good event and I'm happy that ADCC is expanding. These types of regular tournaments are good and the increased experience/weight divisions are great. The action was good and there were some names there who showed up. In the future I doubt I'll do stats for these again, but I will try to cover them. Unfortunately there are too many matches and although that is great for competitors, it makes things hard on me. From now on for the larger events I'll be doing the submissions only, but I'll do full stats for events with fewer competitors or a big event like ADCC. I have to say that these ADCC opens are putting on good matches and the long waits between high level nogi matches might be ending. The next open will be in Denver in next week, so I'm looking forward to seeing who competes there. 

Year to Date Subs

There haven't been too many events this year, but here is where we're at so far. There has been a dearth of events, but I think that will be changing soon. As of now the RNC is in the lead as always, but heelhooks are right on its tail.

 








Comments

Post a Comment