What We Learned From the 1st European ADCC trials

ADCC Trials are starting up again and we just got our first event. The first European trials just ended and we have more people set to compete in the ADCC championships. This was also the debut of the new women's divisions. Although I don't think these women will have a guaranteed spot on ADCC they came out to put on a show and gain some experience. Let's take a look at who won.


Results


Men's



-66kg Owen Jones


-77kg Jozef Chen


-88kg Santeri Lilius


-99kg Luke Griffith


+99kg Heikki Jussila





Women's




-55kg Josefine Modig



-65kg Sani Brannfors



+65kg Ane Svendsen





How People Won





As you can see here we had slightly more point and decision victories than submissions. I will say that since there was a different bracketing system than what I'm used to there could be some small errors. I obviously didn't watch all of these matches and relied on the results posted for many of the matches. These are not always accurate, so there might be some small problems, however there shouldn't be many errors. Anyway, neck attacks slightly edged out leg attacks, while arm attacks were much lower than both. 

Although there were a number of points victories, I felt most people were trying to finish their opponents and there wasn't a lot of stalling to get points wins. Not every event can have tons of submissions, but they can have tons of action. There was a lot of that as well as technique.




 


Stats


The RNC came out on top here as always, followed by the inside heelhook. The anklelock tied for 3rd with the guillotine and finally the armbar came in next. At these trials we also got a few rare submissions such as smoothers(which are becoming less rare), the linns lock, the z-lock and 2 twisters.
I thought the twister was actually illegal at ADCC, but I guess not. Something I've been seeing more and more of this year is the texas cloverleaf. This was thought of as a garbage tier sub a few years ago, but there have actually collected quite a few wins this year.


The Good & The Bad


The level of leglock knowledge has increased a lot. During the last trials I covered I saw a lot of basic mistakes on offense and defense. The Europeans seemed years behind what I saw at the North American trials. This no longer seems to be the case and they have narrowed the gap significantly in 2 years. There were a variety of leglocks used and people generally knew intelligent defenses and counters. 

I think the overall level in the region has definitely increased, however I don't know if any of the winners are at the level to challenge the top level competitors at ADCC. However since these trials are so early, they have about 1 years to make improvements and you never know how much someone can improve in that time. 

Some interesting new faces have come and shaken things up a bit. I don't think anyone was expecting Owen Jones to win, but here he is. Also Luke Griffith looked really good and won all his matches by submission. I hadn't heard of Josefine Modig or Sani Brannfors before, but they were able to make it to the top of their divisions. I think the real standout however was Jozef Chen. He beat Tommy Langaker, Matheus SzczeciƄski in a single day. That was an incredibly impressive trials performance. 




Overall


This was a good event overall and I'm happy the level in this region has improved so much in a short period of time. There were good matches and I'm happy that it seems the era of getting 2 points and stalling the rest of the match, is over. People actually want to grapple and use technique to win fights. Hopefully this same attitude continues at the next European trials and some of the people that couldn't quite reach the mark this weekend will try again.


Year To Date Stats


I know I just did one of these last week, but there were a lot of subs at this event, so I decided to update it again.

 



Comments