What We Learned from Pit Submission Series 3

   




Pit Submission Series just had its 3rd event of this year, so let's talk about it. So far this year, they have been one of the most consistent promotions and I think all of the events have been pretty good. I was excited to see Ethan Crelenstien back in action and I certainly didn't mind seeing Gregor Gracie and JZ Cavalcante. Let's take a look at the results of the 3 matches they had. 


Results


 Ethan Crelenstien def. Troy Worthen via RNC

 Gregor Gracie def. "JZ" Cavalcante via Thunderlock

 Gillain Robertson def. Montana De La Rosa via decision




How People Won




We got a 66.6% submission rate here, but that is a bit easy with just 3 matches. That said, you can't complain about a good event with lots of subs. There were no leglocks which is a bit unusual, but to be honest 2 of the matches were a bit short, so we really didn't get to see a lot of different positions. I think having 2/3 matches end in subs is about the best you can ask for to be honest. 



Stats



We got 2 subs here, a RNC and what I recorded as an Americana. Both the sub and he attempt were actually thunderlocks, but I didn't know what to categorize those as. There were actually 3 thunderlocks tried today, so I guess it has been getting more popular this year. I always considered it more of a niche sub, but perhaps more people have found it useful now. There were a lot of guillotine attempts, but none were able to get a finish. 





There weren't actually takedowns, but there were 2 single leg attempts. People managed to get things to the ground, but not by using a traditional takedown. 




As far as sweeps go, we saw a hook sweep and a hip bump. There was a single leg wrestle up, but it didn't score. The hip bump was actually off the pit wall which I think gave it a little extra something, so I'm looking forward to seeing how people can use the wall in the future for interesting moves. 



We got a halfguard pass and a 3/4 mount pass. Both were by Gillian Robertson I believe. The other matches didn't really have opportunities for passing in them. 




We got 2 finished from the back and 1 instance of side control and the mount. There isn't much more to say about that.




The action score is a bit low here and the reason is because of the last match. Gillian and Montana's match was slower and had less action than the other 2. I tried to come up with the most accurate way to do these action stats, but in cases like this where there are short matches with lots of action and then longer ones with less action, it makes the event look worse than it was. The first 2 matches were good, but the last one wasn't


Overall

This was a good event and the first 2 matches are worth watching. The best part is that they're free. Pit Submission Series is something that I didn't expect this year, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm hoping we get another match next month and that they get more high level grapplers. I would say more, but I need to work on the other event from today, Polaris 27. I'll have another blog coming very soon, so stay tuned. Also watch the event yourself here. 





The year to date stats will come in the next post. 

Comments