What We Learn From the AIGA North American Trials(Day 1)


The North American qualifier is here for AIGA. The winning team will be able to compete later for $1,000,000. We have 6 teams competing over 2 days in a round robin format to decide the winning team. They'll be a lot of matches and hopefully some good grappling. For those that aren't familiar AIGA is a team based comp, but unlike something like quintet you only compete in your weightclass. They do choose which weights will compete randomly thought, so there is an aspect of chance to keep things interesting. Anyway, let's look at the teams. 




Stats

Before I get into this I'll say, I wanted to reduce my workload here since there were so many matches. To do that I only collected stats on the bigger named athletes. I excluded about 40% of the matches because I(am I'm sure you) don't know who these people are. The matches with at least one name were generally covered here though. Please keep this in mind while looking at the stats. 





 

Overall


This was a great first day. I was disappointed that a lot of the people I wanted to see, such as Max Schneider and Jason Rau weren't there. However the action we got was great. Another thing I like are the rules. Nothing is perfect, but generally the action is there and the right person wins the match. I didn't do too analysis here, but I'll try to do more once tomorrow is done. I'll also update the year to day stats.  


Comments